Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Begin the Beguine

As a rule, I don't think it's polite to think that I have anything interesting to say. My friends would say that means that I'm a self-basher, as it were--I just call it modesty. Either way, I'm entirely convinced that this blog will be universally ignored. Why begin it, then?

Everybody loves a list:
1) I am a receptionist at a VC firm that I'm fairly sure doesn't really need me here. I answer phones, mostly, and there are certainly days when the phone doesn't ring often. This leaves me at the computer all the livelong day. In short: I am bored.
2) People have told me that I should. I am, like most others, a lemming. Sure, I might have second thoughts before jumping off that cliff with everyone else, but in the end, I'm pretty sure I'd still make that leap.
3) Maybe, just maybe, blogging is that one hidden talent that I have yet to discover. I've long been of the belief that everybody has at least one thing that they're really, really good at. I've tried a lot of things, and so far, I've been passable, but not exceptional, at a great many of them. I thought curling might be my undiscovered natural talent, but I finally tried it in December. It is most definitely not. I wouldn't even consider myself of a "passable" level.
4) A whole lot of new things are happening to me. I graduated college in May of last year, moved to the city, and began a new job. I live by myself, and rarely get the opportunity to visit with my friends (they all had the audacity to not move to the city with me), so I don't have the luxury of being able to tell these new experiences to anyone. Mayhaps a blog can be a stand-in friend. Which, even as I'm writing it, I realize sounds completely pathetic. But as an (almost) 23-year-old female who hasn't had a boyfriend since the eigth grade, I think my pathetic-ness has peaked, and I can't really do much harm.
5) I ride the commuter rail to and fro Monday through Friday (at least). Public transportation might as well be a sitcom. Or a crime drama, depending what line you're a patron of, I suppose. Somebody has to write sitcoms (as the WGA taught us not so very long ago). It may as well be me.

So there you have it. My first post. I'm already doubting reason #3, but a lack of talent doesn't stop some from reaching success (read: slight jab at Julia Stiles). Burn.

No comments: