Thursday, May 1, 2008

Boston: Commuter's Paradise

According to an article on the yahoo newsfeed (clearly, I am a well informed person), Boston is one of the very best major cities in the country for commuters.

Proof: http://promo.realestate.yahoo.com/best-and-worst-cities-for-commuters.html

Yes, Boston. Apparently, 23% of the people who work in the city either carpool or use public transportation to get to work.

When I saw the headline, I was sure we'd be a worst. Driving in Boston makes me want to stick forks in my eyeballs. Albeit, that's because I drive a tiny little hatchback with no power steering and a fussy clutch, not to mention a giant dent in rear from an incident at one of the gloriously abundant rotaries in my neighborhood (not my fault, I assure you). Maybe I exaggerated the hardships of driving in Boston during rush hour (something I avoid at all costs, I'm a 23%er).

Exaggerated, ok. But one of best? Seriously, promo.realestate.yahoo.com?

I spent a few summers commuting from Braintree to Salem for a theatrical endeavor. It would take me about 2 hours each way because of traffic, and nearly all of that was concentrated to the Expressway (only 1/4 of the total distance). And that's the best?

Remind me to never commute anywhere else. Especially not Corpus Christie, Texas (that shan't be a sacrifice), or Los Angeles (my abs would be too jealous of other people to move there).

San Francisco, however, has us beat by a whopping 5%. If I wasn't so afraid of massive earthquakes (1906, anyone?), that might be an option.

Cheers to the MBTA, though. It must be nice to be commended for a change. They're cited as being a great example of public transportation in the article, because there are plenty of stops near the places most people work. Which is quite true for me. I pretty much get off the stop, cross the street, and have arrived. It takes longer to ride the elevator to my floor than it does to get from the T station into the building.

I apologize if this post lacks understandability (I am confident that I just used a word that doesn't really exist). My Crohn's has been a-flaring today, and it's been severely lowering my ability to form cohesive thoughts. It kind of feels like somebody is kicking me in the stomach, but I can't leave to curl up into a fetal position (my typical discomfort-easing activity in situations such as these), since I am bound to my desk per the duties of answering the phone and signing for packages.

Apology accomplished, this post is complete. Very good.










No comments: