Monday, May 12, 2008

EXTREME

Did anybody out there watch Extreme Makeover: Home Edition yestereve?

I did. And my tear ducts will never be the same.

First of all, I appreciated the reminder of Winter. The disgusting gray color pallet and frigid temperatures helped me to remember that the not-so-ideal weather right now would be considered a day in paradise back then. Thank you.

Secondly, I love that ABC's version of showing Massachusetts included the Minutemen, the Zakim Bridge, and a crew team. None of which, to my knowledge, are in Maynard. But I don't really know anything about Maynard, so I perhaps I am wrong.

Incidentally, were all Minutemen in the 18th Century middle-aged and overweight? Not to judge our modern day interpreters, but I did find that mildly entertaining. Don't get me wrong, I am fond of historical interpretation. I took a class on it in college, I worked in the field for many summers (it was a job, however, not a hobby); nevertheless, where were all of the young Heath Ledger lookalikes (may he rest in peace)? Or even Mel Gibson, for that matter? I digress.

The episode made me sob from beginning to end, with a little break to snicker good naturedly at the Minutemen (also..did they really have to shoot out the windows---surely they could have reused them somewhere else, they didn't look to be in terrible condition...that's what Craigslist is for, ABC!). That family is truly inspirational. I wish them all the best.

No comments: